Meccano Society of Scotland
Stair Climb Competition
Menstrie Challenge 2015
The challenge is to build a machine from standard and/or compatible Meccano parts that is able to climb a flight of stairs. There will be five risers in all, these being of successively greater heights, namely 2", 2 1/2", 3", 3 1/2" and 4". The stairs will be 18" wide and each step shall be 12" deep.
- The machine should be assembled from Meccano or Meccano compatible parts.
- Two attempts per round per machine are permitted.
- Machine settings may be adjusted between successive attempts.
- The power source may be any electric or clockwork motor or spring mechanism. There are no voltage or power restrictions for electric motors but the power source must be carried on the machine. Batteries may be changed, power sources recharged and clockwork motors and springs re-wound as required.
- Once set in motion for an attempt at the climb the operator may not touch the vehicle until the run is completed.
- Any machine judged to have damaged the obstacle will be disqualified.
- There are no size or weight restrictions for the machine's construction
- At the start of the attempt the foremost part of the machine must be at least 12" from the bottom riser.
- An attempt is not considered complete until all of the machine is resting on the top step.
- A machine falling off the side of the steps during its ascent will be deemed to have used one of the two attempts permitted under rule 2.
- The machine should finish the attempt with the same number of parts that it started with.
- In the event of more than one machine successfully completing the climb the entrant taking the shortest time will be declared the winner.