The Meccano Society of Scotland
Menstrie Challenge 2008
This challenge this year is to build a bulldozer type vehicle. The idea behind the competition is that pairs of bulldozers go head to head and try and push their opponent backwards.
- Maximum bulldozer width - 6 inches.
- Maximum bulldozer length - 12 1/2 inches.
- Maximum bulldozer weight - 1.5kg.
- No limit to number of driving wheels.
- Powered by one wind of a post-war No.1 Clockwork motor.
- A Part No. 52 to be used as the pusher plate. This should be orientated horizontally in the vertical plane (i.e. 2 1/2" high) to present a smooth flat surface to the opponent, with a 1" clearance at the bottom from the ground. No protruding nuts/bolts etc. on the front face to interfere with the opponent.
- No part of the bulldozer may protrude beyond the front of the pusher plate.
- Only Meccano parts may be used to construct the bulldozer, except for any additional weight used solely to make up to comply with Rule 3 and the label to comply with Rule 10.
- Each round of the competition starts with the pusher plates of the two bulldozers touching each other face to face directly over the starting line.
- Each bulldozer to display the builder's name.
- Three goes are allowed for each entrant in each stage of the competition
- To start the competition, both bulldozers shall be held stationary by someone else whilst the motors are switched on and then released simultaneously.
- The winner of each pair meets winner of the next pair.
- The winner is the bulldozer which finishes up having crossed over the start line after the clockwork motors in both bulldozers have run down.
- The competition to be run on a horizontal varnished wooden board.
- Proxy entrants permitted.
- In the event of a dispute the decision of the club secretary is final.