The Meccano Society of Scotland
to the web pages
The Meccano Society of Scotland
The Meccano system was invented by Frank Hornby in 1901 and first appeared on sale as a constructional toy called "Mechanics Made Easy". This was renamed Meccano in 1907.
The Meccano Society of Scotland was formed in 1984 by a group of like minded enthusiasts interested in Meccano. We cater for a variety of interests. Some of our members are builders and others are collectors, but all are interested in Meccano.
We have around five club meetings a year, usually held in Stirling together with an annual exhibition.
Membership of the Society is open to any person interested in Meccano and new members are always welcome. If you wish to join us please contact the Treasurer.
The annual challenge competition at our Menstrie meeting in May 2019 will be to build a vehicle that can carry a load though an obstacle course. More details here.
Many our members exhibit their Meccano models at a variety of Exhibitions etc. thoughout the year. Photos from many of these exhibitions can be seen on our photograph pages. Virtually all of these now include an optional high resolution version of the photo that can be viewed/downloaded if you want to see the detail in the photo more clearly.
We publish a club Newsletter about three times a year.
Back issues of the Newsletter are now available for download. Alternately they can be viewed online, with no need to download them first. Issues up to issue 103 (April 2017) are now available - See the Newsletter page
The site now has a Guestbook for visitors comments and suggestions
The website contains photographs from our various exhibitions and meetings.
See the bottom of the page for recent additions/improvements to the website
There is now a page with links to various Meccano clubs, Dealers and other sites of interest.
The website also contains photographs of models by club members - The latest of these shows various models by Ken McDonald.
Comprehensive Meccano Magazine Index
One of our members - Timothy Edwards has produced an on-line comprehensive index to all articles and pictures in the Meccano Magazine. It has full search facilities. Click here for details.
Timothy Edwards has also produced comprehensive information on Meccano Manuals from 1908-81. It now also includes downloads of most 1908-81 manuals. Click here for details.
Meccano Set Part Lists
Timothy Edwards' website also has Set Parts Lists for most Meccano sets from 1901 - 2016 plus old style Plastic Meccano Sets. Click here for details
Meccano Ltd. Engineering Drawings
Timothy Edwards' website also has scans of Meccano Ltd. engineering drawings covering almost all post-war Meccano Parts. Scans of 373 drawings can be downloaded at 300dpi. These are fascinating and give an insight into the development of Meccano parts. Click here for details.
Meccano Ltd. Patents and Registered Designs
Timothy Edwards' website also lists all those patents and designs registered by Meccano Ltd. throughout the world which I have so far managed to discover. This covers all products of Meccano Ltd. Where available, copies of the original patents/designs can be downloaded. Click here for details.
If anyone has any comments or suggestions for content of this site, please contact the Webmaster (Timothy Edwards).
NEW (May 2019)
- Photos added from this year's exhibition at Fort William. Also the Rules of this year's challenge at Menstrie
- 2019 meeting dates now on the Meetings page and 2018 prize winners added to the Trophys page.
- Newsletter issue 104 (September 2017) and 105 (December 2017) now available for download.
NEW (October 2018)
- Photos added from this year's exhibitions at Scone Dundee and Greenock. Also the Report of this years challenge at Menstrie
- Newsletter issue 103 (April 2017) now available for download.
NEW (July 2018)
- Photos added from this year's exhibitions at Strathpeffer, Kilmarnock, Lyne of Skene, Castle Fraser and Skegness and also from the Menstrie Meeting.
- Newsletter issue 102 (December 2016) now available for download.
NEW (April 2018)
- Details of the 2018 Menstrie Challenge added.
NEW (December 2017)
- Photos added from the 2017 Peterhead Exhibition.
- Photos added from the 2017 Elgin Exhibition.
- 2018 meeting dates now on the Meetings page.
NEW (November 2017)
- Photos added from the 2017 NEMS Darlington Exhibition.
NEW (October 2017)
- On the photo gallery pages there are 'previous' and 'next' icons to allow easy movement to the previous/next photo gallery.
- Random photos from the photo galleries are now being displayed on the Home and Meeting pages.
- Photographs of Ken McDonald's models added to the members section.
- Extra photographs added to Darlington 2016 photo gallery.
- Newsletter issue 101 (August 2016) now available for download.
- Photographs from the 2017 Dundee Model Railways and Hobbies Exhibition added.
- Photographs from our display at the 2017 Greenock Model Railway Exhibition added.
- Reports and photos for the 2012 and 2013 Menstrie Meeting / Challange have been added (extracted from the Newsletter). Also the report for the 2017 Menstrie Challange has been added to accompany the existing photos.
NEW (September 2017)
- The website is now mobile phone friendly
- Optional higher resolution photos are now available for virtually all photos in the photo galleries.
- Additional photographs added to some of the photo galleries for the mid 2000s annual shows.
- Photographs from various exhibitions for 2016 and 2017 added.
- Photographs of Dave Stanford's models added to the members section.
You are visitor since 8 Jan 2002